Saint Cuthbert (c. 634-687), the pre-eminent Anglo-Saxon saint of Northumbria, was bishop of the island community of Lindisfarne. When the monastery was sacked by the Vikings in 873, the monks dug up the saint’s body and carried it with other sacred relics in a journey lasting serveral centuries to Chester-le-Street, Ripon, and eventually to Durham (1104), when Cuthbert was finally interred. This manuscript life of Saint Cuthbert was given to the exiled community probably in 934 by King Aethelstan, first king of all England 925-39. The last page, shown here, opens with a hymn to Saint Cuthbert, with early musical neumes, without staves, and a list of kitchen utensils in Old English, apparently also given by the king. The feast of Saint Cuthbert is 20 March. Parker Library MS 183, f. 96v.